1847 in sports
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Years in sports:||1844 1845 1846 1847 1848 1849 1850|
|Centuries:||18th century · 19th century · 20th century|
|Decades:||1810s 1820s 1830s 1840s 1850s 1860s 1870s|
|Years:||1844 1845 1846 1847 1848 1849 1850|
1847 in sports describes the year's events in world sport.
- William Thompson retains the Championship of England but there is no record of any fights involving him in 1847.
- William Clarke's All-England Eleven (AEE), formed in 1846, becomes a major attraction and plays numerous matches throughout England
- Another set of public school rules is created at Harrow which, like Eton, plays the "dribbling game".
- Grand National – Mathew
- 1,000 Guineas Stakes – Clementina
- 2,000 Guineas Stakes – Conyngham
- The Derby – Cossack
- The Oaks – Miami
- St. Leger Stakes – Van Tromp
The Boat Race
- The Oxford and Cambridge Boat Race is not held this year